Saturday, August 29, 2015

In my backyard

I'm lucky to live right on the foot of a big mountain. The highest peak is around 1600 m. One of my favorite "littleish" loops is a 700-800ish m climb on a dirt-road, and down a pretty steep grassy track called Bullock track. The burning feeling in the legs is soon forgotten when you get to the top, the view is amazing and the feeling of being in the loneliness of a mountain is humbling.

 I've been down Bullock track a few times now. The first time my fingers burned more than my legs (from hanging on the breaks), but after a few times I have actually started to really enjoy it! Last time was slippery, which is good because it teaches me not to break so much (which means go faster), and also I swished past two big bulls without being able to stop. Bulls in paddocks still freak me out a bit, and without being able to stop I had no choice of turning back.

Dirtroad.

Snowcovered Dunstan mountains in the background.

A piece of central Otago.

A piece of central Otago.

Bullock track.

No comments:

Post a Comment